Monday, August 18, 2014

Dreamers, Visionaries; Movers & Shakers of Faith

At some point in time in my life, I had inkling about what it was I wanted to do with my life.  I wanted to pursue a career in medicine.  God gave me a different dream and direction.  I then began to think about the work of a pastor.  I conjured up all kinds of ideas, scenes and scenarios about what I would do and accomplish as a pastor.  Life has a way of challenging our dreams and goals.  Joseph found that out.  We begin to look at one of my heroes.  But like all heroes, he is not without weakness or fault.  As we look at Joseph we see a young man who is disciplined and faithful.  He has a desire to do what is right before God and others, and the integrity to stand for the truth regardless the consequences.  Yet he at times came off as arrogant and too full of himself.  People who are passionate versus flippant about things in life are often that way.  I say that to say this; without condoning the actions of his brothers, God used the circumstances and trials to mold the man and prepare him for the great work in his life.  Joseph may have thought it would be around the bend, but it would be years before the dreams became reality.  There was a great deal of work needed to shape him for his ultimate life work.  The same is true of us.  We grow impatient at times to reach the point we believe God would have us to be.  But understand that in the journey, God is at work preparing us and others for the fulfillment of His will and vision.

Verse of the Week

For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 
2 Peter 1:8-9

No comments: